Wednesday, June 9, 2010

God is everywhere!

Tonight was a neat experience. LifeBuilders takes a group of volunteers each Wednesday night to a homeless shelter where they pass our bagged meals (sandwich, popcorn, 'candy' and a juice box). Tonight I got off the bus and was talking to a man on the street who told me he had just gotten out of prison TODAY! Talk about a little nerve-racking. I asked him if he KNEW Jesus and what he thought that meant. He told me that he wanted to find a church. I told him about the church we attend here and couldnt remember the cross street of its location. He started 'making fun of me' because I didnt know where my own church was at. I explained to him how I just moved here and such, and he gave me a WEIRD LOOK and said, "Girl why you be comin to Detroit, its like a war zone up in here." He told me about how when he went to prison 10 years ago the city was beautiful and he was proud to call DETROIT his HOME. But today when he walked out of prison he said to himself, " Dang, who came and bombed us?!" This just goes to show what change has happened in Detroit in just a few short years. I'm praying that this man will be able to come to Hope Community Church and will begin to grow in his relationship with Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Its an understatement that your internship is in a tough location. But I'm already enouraged by how God is tangibly moving around and thru you, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete