Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Camp CedarRidge

These are the nine girls that went to camp with me: (from left to right)
Monae, Danielle (Bunny), Jonay, Shyane, Remnique, Angel, Carmenlita, Angel and not pictured Dajunay.
This was during our campout, where we slept under the stars. This was definitely a new experience for most of the girls. They did very well.

Over all the week spent at CedarRidge was a success. It was a verrrry long week though. There two, sometimes three girls who struggled with major attitude problems, and gave me a lot of problems. It was easy to tell which girls are disciplined at home and which are NOT. When I would "get on their case" about not listening to instructions or about being disrespectful they were very quick to roll their eyes, ignore me, or snap back at me.
I was very happy to head home on Saturday. Even though I enjoyed the week I was completely exhausted. And I missed electricity... yes that is right, we had no electricity in our cabins. I also missed feeling clean.. the whole camp is a sand pit. This being the case, it was impossible to keep buildings clean. Needless to say, this camp is very rustic compared to the camps I have been apart of before.

I learned a lot during the week. I was able to spend a lot of time journaling. I read a lot from God's word, and was able to be corrected through the Holy Spirit. God definitely taught me PATIENCE! I also was taught more than patience, but a new way of WAITING ON GOD. There are so many things going on in my life that I just want to skip ahead to the future and see how it all turns out. Instead God showed me to just enjoy the present and he will reveal the future to me in HIS timing.

I also learned a new way of doing camp. This camp had many activities to offer, more than I have ever had offered to me at a camp. For example, the girls can choose classes to do throughout the week. These classes were: Archery, Mountain Biking, Horses, Canoeing, Rifle shooting, Drama, Swimming, Outdoor cooking, Outdoor survival skills, and the list goes on. I realized that money makes a huge difference in camping ministry. My dream is to open and run a camp someday, a camp designed specifically for urban kids. I would love for them to have these options, so I need to begin praying now for God to place people with these skills in my path.

God taught me a lot, and I was stretched a lot. The girls, overall, had a great time. They also learned a lot about the BIBLE and characters from the bible like Ester, David and JESUS! Praise God for a wonderful week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment