Friday, July 9, 2010

much overdue...

I think that in order for this update to not be 10 pages long, I will try and do some bullet points... Lets see, what have I been doing the past 2 weeks..

  • Every morning I pick up 8 children and take them to a day camp. I have a VBS cd that I play every morning, and it is so precious to hear the children sing along with the worship songs. There is nothing like it :)
  • I have continued doing a Bible study with some teen girls. I have had up to 7 girls come, and then only 1 come. I have learned a lot from this experience. Urban ministry is so unique. I drive up to their house in the big van and I never know who is going to come out of the house ready for Bible Study, but I know there will be at least one.
  • There is one girl who has been incredibly faithful to coming to the Bible study. Her name is Cheronda. She is 16 and lives in a small home with 23 other people. She is so hungry for the word, and wants to learn more and more. I have loved getting to know her and we've been able to meet 1 on 1 a few times. She always has deep questions for me, and tells me she wants to learn more about Jesus. I gave her a Bible and she has treated it like it is her most prized possession.
  • I just mentioned above the household that has 23 people living in it. Well that number is probably an understatement. There are so many people who come and go from that house, some family members, others just "friends." I visit this house just about every day, and as soon as I pull up in the van kids just come pouring out of every window (there are no windows or screens) and the front door, which is hanging on by one hinge. Some of the kids are still infants, and they usually have no clothing, not even a diaper on. I always leave feeling so heartbroken. But I believe God is working in and around that house. Several of the kids attend our programs and my bible study. Its more than likely that the house is completely drug infested. That seems to be the only draw that would bring in all the people. Please be praying for this household and all the many people and children.
  • This week we launched our teen Workforce program. We have carefully selected 10 teens (14-18 yr olds), and they will "work" for us for 5 weeks and at the end get paid $450. We are doing some incredible things with this group. Several field trips to local businesses, and museums, and fun days. They will visit a dentist office, doctors office, cabnit making shop, and many other great places. This is hopefully going to widen their perspective about their futures. We're also doing an intense Bible study through the Gospel of John. So far its been great, but pray for their attitudes, since some dont have a great work ethic, some of what we're doing is challenging for them.
Well I think that is pretty good update. I just got a call from a neighbor who needs a ride to the bank.. so off I go. More updates coming soon. Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment